North Hollywood Reckless Driving Car Accident Attorneys
Reckless drivers aren’t uncommon in North Hollywood. We’ve all seen them weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, tailgating, or otherwise disregarding the safety of others around them. Reckless drivers are more than just an annoyance. They’re a danger to everyone on the road, including pedestrians and cyclists.
If you’ve been in a collision with a reckless driver, you could be eligible for compensation from the driver and their insurer. The North Hollywood car accident lawyers at The Shamsi Law Firm, APC, are ready to evaluate your case and advise you of your legal rights in a free consultation.
Contact our office today to learn more about your options for personal injury claims to seek compensation after a crash with a reckless driver in North Hollywood.
What Is Considered Reckless Driving in North Hollywood?
The California Vehicle Code defines reckless driving as willful or wanton disregard for people’s safety or the safety of property. It’s different from a negligent driver in that a reckless driver is presumed to be deliberately engaging in unsafe driving behavior behind the wheel with disregard for the safety of others.
If convicted of driving recklessly, a driver may spend up to 90 days in jail and pay a fine of up to $1,000. They may also receive two points on their driver’s license.
However, these aren’t the only consequences of reckless driving. If a reckless driver causes a crash that injures someone or damages someone’s property, they and their insurance company may also be liable for any damages the accident victim sustains.
Reckless driving isn’t just breaking traffic laws by speeding, running red lights, or failing to change lanes or merge safely. A person can also be charged with reckless driving if they operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or engage in street racing, for example.
How Reckless Driving Causes Crashes
When a person drives without due regard for the safety of others, there’s a much higher chance that they’ll hit another vehicle, a cyclist, or a pedestrian. Reckless drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs are particularly dangerous, as they often have delayed reactions, poor judgment, blurred vision, and difficulty controlling their vehicle.
Failing to obey the speed limit and traffic signals endangers everyone on the road. Running a red light or stop sign may cause a T-bone accident or head-on collision, while speeding can result in rear-end crashes, sideswipe accidents, rollover crashes, and more.
Common Injuries Caused by North Hollywood Reckless Driving Car Accidents
North Hollywood reckless driving auto accidents can cause many serious injuries, potentially leaving victims with permanently changed abilities or limitations. Some of the most common injuries after these wrecks include:
- Concussions and other types of traumatic brain injury
- Broken or fractured bones
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Lacerations and contusions
- Burns and road rash
- Vision and hearing loss
- Amputations and loss of limb
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Herniated discs and other back injuries
Victims of automobile accidents may also develop mental health issues or emotional trauma from the crash. For example, they may develop situational anxiety, avoidance issues, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Furthermore, changed abilities, disfigurement, and permanent scarring can also cause depression, embarrassment, and loss of quality of life.
Liability for Reckless Driving Accidents in North Hollywood
Plaintiffs in reckless driving accident claims must prove that the other driver was negligent and, therefore, liable for any injury they caused. Your car accident lawyer must prove that the driver was acting with disregard for your safety, using pieces of evidence to substantiate your claim.
Your attorney may use the following evidence to prove liability for your bodily injury and related losses in a car accident claim:
- Police report, including any statements the other driver made to the police or bystanders that may prove liability
- Statements from witnesses who saw the crash or saw the driver operating their vehicle recklessly
- Testimony from experts in accident reconstruction who can confirm how an accident happened and testify as to who or what caused the crash
- Photos from the accident scene, including vehicle and property damage
- Videos from traffic cameras, dashcams, or nearby surveillance cameras that captured the crash or the reckless driving
- The other driver’s record, including any citations they received
- Medical records of your injuries and the treatments required
- Cell phone records to show whether the other driver was using their phone at the time of the crash
- Field sobriety tests if they were administered at the scene
Proving liability for a reckless driving accident often requires copious amounts of evidence, some of which can be difficult for a layperson to collect. That’s why hiring an experienced car accident attorney from our law firm is crucial to gathering the necessary evidence to prove the reckless driver is responsible for your injuries and other losses and to seek the compensation you need.
Potential Compensation for People Hurt by Reckless Drivers
Reckless driving injury compensation can cover the financial and personal losses you incur from a reckless driving accident. On rare occasions, injury victims may seek punitive damages if they can prove that the defendant acted maliciously or exceptionally recklessly.
Our auto accident lawyers can help you pursue legal action to seek financial compensation for economic losses, such as the following:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses, including hospitalizations, surgeries, doctor’s visits, specialists, mobility equipment, medications, and other medical bills
- Rehabilitative therapy and physical therapy
- Lost wages and loss of future earning potential and benefits
- Costs to repair or replace damaged personal property
You can also pursue compensation for the following non-economic losses:
- Emotional trauma, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pain and suffering due to your injuries
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of companionship and loss of consortium
Our skilled reckless driving accident lawyers can properly value your claim so it covers your current and future needs.
Contact Our North Hollywood Car Accident Lawyer Today
Are you ready to seek justice from the reckless driver who hit you? Do you need money to cover your medical care and pay your bills because you’re missing work? Our North Hollywood car crash attorneys are ready to help.
At The Shamsi Law Firm, APC, we offer a free initial case evaluation and personalized advice about the next steps. Our attorneys are prepared to take on the most difficult personal injury cases after motor vehicle accidents in North Hollywood and elsewhere in Los Angeles County.
Contact us today for a free case review from our personal injury attorneys.