North Hollywood Car Accident Attorney
Accidents can happen in a split second and have repercussions that last a lifetime. If you or a loved one got hurt in a North Hollywood auto accident, you’re likely grappling with the challenges of recovering physically and emotionally while trying to understand your legal rights. In trying times like these, it’s essential to ally yourself with a compassionate professional who can protect your rights.
The Shamsi Law Firm, APC is devoted to standing by auto accident injury victims through thick and thin. Sean Shamsi has recovered tens of millions of dollars in fair compensation and prides himself on delivering personalized service and attention to each client. Let Sean support you, be your voice against the insurance companies, and advocate on your behalf as you seek the recovery you deserve.
Learn how Sean can help with a free, no-obligation consultation. Contact The Shamsi Law Firm, APC today to discuss your case with a North Hollywood car accident lawyer.
What Are the Different Types of Car Accidents?
With the vast number of vehicles on California’s roads, an auto collision can happen in many ways. Unique circumstances, dangers, and legal implications characterize each type of car crash. Here are some common examples:
- Head-on Collisions – These are crashes where the front end of one vehicle collides with the front end of another.
- Rear-end Accidents – This type of collision occurs when one vehicle crashes into the back of another.
- Sideswipe Accidents – These happen when the side of one vehicle comes into contact with the side of another.
- T-Bone Collisions – Also known as side-impact crashes, these occur when the front of one vehicle collides with the side of another, forming a “T” shape.
- Rollover Accidents – This refers to crashes where a vehicle tips over onto its side or roof.
- Uninsured Driver Accidents – These accidents involve drivers who do not have insurance coverage.
- Drunk Driving Accidents – Impaired judgment, slower reaction times, and decreased motor skills of the intoxicated driver often lead to severe and sometimes fatal accidents.
- Uber/Lyft/Rideshare Accidents – Accidents involving rideshare services like Uber or Lyft can be complex due to multiple insurance policies and liable parties involved.
- Hit-and-Run Accidents – These are accidents where one party, typically the one at fault, unlawfully leaves the scene without stopping to provide their details or assist the injured.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents?
While the circumstances of every car accident are unique, several causes repeatedly emerge in collision reports and investigations, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Reckless driving
- Driver fatigue
- Driving under the influence
- Poor road conditions
- Inexperienced driving
What Are Common Injuries from Car Accidents?
An auto wreck can inflict a wide array of injuries, with some manifesting immediately and others revealing themselves over time. Common examples include:
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Herniated discs
- Rib fractures
- Internal bleeding
- Torn ligaments
- Knee trauma
- Neck injuries
- Chest injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Crush injuries
- Burn injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Facial injuries
- Dental injuries
- Eye injuries
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Soft tissue injuries
- Psychological trauma
What Should I Do Immediately After a Car Accident?
If you get hurt in a North Hollywood car wreck, it’s important to prioritize your health and take informed actions to protect your legal rights. Here are the steps you should take:
- Seek immediate medical attention for professional diagnosis and care, even if you feel fine.
- Follow your doctor’s advice and treatment recommendations as closely as possible.
- Document and photograph all injuries, medical treatments, and prescribed medications.
- Request copies of all medical records and bills associated with the accident.
- Notify your insurance company about the accident, but avoid making any definitive statements.
- Obtain a copy of the police report for your records.
- Contact a North Hollywood car accident law firm for guidance as soon as possible.
- Avoid giving statements to the other party’s insurance company without consulting your lawyer.
- Record all accident-related expenses and bills (e.g., health care, property repairs, car rentals).
- Start a daily journal to record your physical and emotional well-being after the accident.
- Avoid discussing the accident with anyone outside of your immediate family or legal counsel.
- Avoid posting about the accident or your well-being on social media.
Be cautious of early settlement offers and consult with your attorney before accepting.
Who Can Be Held at Fault in a Car Accident?
Determining liability is crucial for pursuing compensation in the aftermath of a car accident. While the immediate assumption might be that one of the drivers is at fault, various parties could be held responsible depending on the circumstances:
- The driver of the other vehicle
- The owner of the other vehicle
- Employers of at-fault drivers
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Parts manufacturers
- Entities responsible for road design or maintenance
- Construction companies
- Owners of private properties
- Other road users who contribute to the accident
- Rental car companies
- Companies responsible for vehicle maintenance
What If I Am Partially at Fault for the Car Accident?
California follows a comparative negligence principle in cases where two or more parties share fault. Under this rule, your level of responsibility for the motor vehicle accident will proportionally reduce the amount of compensation you can receive.
For example, let’s say a court finds you 25 percent at fault for a collision, and the accident costs you $100,000 in losses. In this case, your recoverable compensation would decrease by 25 percent, leaving a maximum of $75,000 available. The good news is that California follows a “pure comparative negligence” model, which says you can still recover money from other parties even if you’re 99 percent at fault.
Sean Shamsi, an experienced car accident attorney, can undertake several strategies to maximize your settlement if the other side accuses you of contributing to the crash. He will meticulously analyze the evidence, work with reliable experts, and develop compelling legal strategies to decrease the percentage of fault attributed to you. Additionally, even if you share fault, Sean can ensure your total claim value represents the full extent of your losses by accurately documenting all your bills and expenses.
What Compensation Can I Recover in a Car Accident Lawsuit?
With the help of a car accident attorney in North Hollywood, you could claim compensation for the following types of crash-related losses in a successful lawsuit or insurance claim:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses
- Incidental costs like medical travel expenses
- Lost income from missed time at work
- Losses in future earning capacity
- Subjective losses like pain and suffering
- Property damage and vehicle repair/replacement
How Long Does It Take for a Car Accident Claim to Settle?
The time it takes for a car accident claim to settle varies widely based on the specifics of the accident, the severity of injuries, and the distribution of fault. While some claims might settle relatively quickly, others could take months or longer to resolve.
Remember that a speedy settlement isn’t always in your best interest. Rushing could lead to accepting a lesser amount than what you truly deserve. Retaining a lawyer is the best way to ensure your rights are protected and that you receive appropriate compensation for your losses.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim in California?
You have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the responsible party or parties in California. However, there are exceptions that might lengthen or shorten this filing window. For instance, if you have a claim against a government entity, your window to file might be much shorter.
Missing this filing deadline could have serious repercussions. If you attempt to file your lawsuit after the filing window has passed, the court will likely dismiss your case, leaving you unable to claim compensation for your losses.
While two years might sound like plenty of time, acting quickly remains essential. Preparing and pursuing a car accident claim involves numerous steps, from gathering evidence to negotiating with insurance companies, which take time. Delays can also mean risking the loss of vital evidence or witness memories.
This is why hiring a lawyer early in the process is so important. Sean Shamsi can pinpoint the relevant deadlines for your situation and file a timely and accurate claim on your behalf, maximizing your chances of a successful outcome.
How a North Hollywood Lawyer Can Help with Car Accident Claims
With Sean Shamsi’s support, you can focus on your recovery while feeling confident that your case is in capable hands. Sean can handle every aspect of your legal case by:
- Evaluating the strength and potential value of your car accident injury claim
- Identifying all liable parties and potential sources of compensation for your injury case
- Gathering essential evidence, like accident reports, witness statements, and medical records
- Consulting with medical professionals to ascertain the full extent of your injuries
- Communicating and negotiating with other parties and insurance companies on your behalf
- Reviewing all settlement offers to determine if they fairly compensate you
- Representing you in court if a lawsuit becomes necessary
Because The Shamsi Law Firm, APC handles cases on a contingency fee basis, you pay nothing unless Sean recovers money for your accident injuries.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in North Hollywood Today
Every accident victim deserves strong representation and an advocate who genuinely cares. For Sean Shamsi, your recovery is his primary concern. Contact The Shamsi Law Firm, APC today for a free case review with a North Hollywood car accident attorney.