Los Angeles Catastrophic Injury Attorney
What Makes an Injury ‘Catastrophic’?
Catastrophic injuries are generally considered to be traumatic brain injuries and/or injuries to the spinal cord. There are many causes of catastrophic injuries in California, including vehicle accidents, falls, and sporting injuries. These injuries are often life-threatening and can alter a victim’s life in many ways. Recovery can be a long and arduous process, leaving victims with seemingly endless medical bills, physical and mental suffering, and a steep loss in quality of life.
The Shamsi Law Firm, APC has seen the consequences of these major injuries, and we’ve helped many clients get compensation for the damages they’ve suffered. It can seem like all hope is lost for victims and their families, but by securing proper compensation, you can at least begin to put together the pieces after a catastrophic accident.
Los Angeles Catastrophic Injury Statistics
Spinal Cord Injuries
- There are approximately 276,000 people in the United States living with spinal cord injuries.
- The estimated lifetime cost of paraplegia is $2,310,104 for a 25-year-old person and $1,516,052 for a 50-year-old person.
- Motor vehicle accidents cause more than 35 percent of new spinal cord injuries each year.
- Falls cause more than 25 percent of spinal cord injuries and are the leading causes of spinal cord injuries for those over 65.
- Sports injuries cause around 9 percent of all spinal cord injuries.
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- TBI was a contributing factor in the deaths of over 50,000 people in 2010.
- From 2006 to 2010, falls were the leading cause of TBI (40.5 percent).
- Falls caused 55 percent of TBI in children aged 0 to 14 and 81 percent of TBI in adults aged 65 and older.
- Men were three times more likely than women to die from TBI.
Catastrophic injuries can lead to permanent disability and a lifetime of required medical care. This can leave victims without gainful employment, furthering the challenges of affording adequate care and rehabilitation. This can disrupt the lives of loved ones as families struggle to cope with the aftermath of major life-changing injuries.
When negligence is the cause of these terrible accidents, the responsible party should be held accountable for the damages and losses of the victim and their loved ones. Victims must seek the aid of a qualified catastrophic injury attorney to help ensure that adequate compensation is given.
Contact the Los Angeles Catastrophic Injury Attorneys at The Shamsi Law Firm, APC
The catastrophic injury attorneys at The Shamsi Law Firm, APC can help you in that fight. It is important to take action as quickly as possible, since cases are often won or lost in the short time following an injury. If you believe that negligence was the cause of a catastrophic injury that you or a loved one has suffered, contact our firm today for a free consultation, 818-764-7640.