North Hollywood Slip and Fall Attorney
The shock and pain of a slip-and-fall accident can instantly turn your life upside down. You might be grappling with severe pain, mounting medical bills, and perhaps even the prospect of a long-term disability. During this vulnerable time, you need guidance and support as you seek the compensation you deserve for your losses. You need Sean Shamsi.
Sean has a reputation throughout North Hollywood for compassionate and effective representation. He has recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients. Just as important, though, Sean believes in individualized attention for each client, so you never feel like just another case number.
Contact The Shamsi Law Firm, APC today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a North Hollywood slip-and-fall lawyer.
What Are Common Causes of Slip-and-Fall Accidents?
Slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents don’t always result from clumsiness or inattention. They can occur in various settings and for a multitude of reasons. Environmental factors and preventable property hazards are also common contributing factors.
Here are some common causes of slip-and-falls in California:
- Wet or Slippery Floors – Whether it’s a grocery store aisle or a restaurant kitchen, wet or slippery floors frequently cause slip-and-fall incidents.
- Uneven Surfaces – Irregularities in walking surfaces, like cracks in sidewalks, potholes, or uneven flooring, can be extremely hazardous.
- Poor Lighting – Inadequate lighting can make it difficult to see obstacles or hazards, like steps or changes in elevation.
- Cluttered Floors – Obstacles on floors can include everything from merchandise in retail aisles to cables and wires in office environments.
- Inadequate Signage or Warnings – Property owners are responsible for adequately marking hazards, especially temporary ones like wet floors or ongoing construction.
What Are Common Places Where Slip-and-Falls Occur?
Slip-and-fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, but specific locations where these incidents are more common include:
- Grocery stores
- Shopping malls
- Restaurants and cafés
- Hotels and motels
- Train and bus stations
- Public sidewalks
- Parking lots and garages
- Office buildings
- Hospitals and medical facilities
- Nursing homes
- Assisted living facilities
- Schools and colleges
- Movie theaters
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Swimming pools
- Amusement parks
- Zoos and aquariums
- Construction sites
- Warehouses and factories
- Elevators and escalators
- Public restrooms
- Spas and salons
- Outdoor festivals and events
- Sports stadiums and arenas
- Residential homes
- Religious institutions
What Are Common Injuries Someone Can Sustain in a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Some slip-and-fall accidents look minor at first glance, but they can result in a wide range of injuries. The following are common examples:
- Sprained ankles
- Fractured wrists
- Broken hips
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Knee injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Fractured ribs
- Hand and finger injuries
- Foot and toe injuries
- Dental injuries
- Neck injuries
- Nerve damage
- Herniated discs
- Soft tissue injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Eye injuries
- Psychological injuries
What Is California Law for Pursuing Compensation After a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
In California, under the rule of premises liability, property owners are obligated to maintain a reasonably safe environment for visitors. The degree of this obligation, or duty of care, can vary based on the relationship between the property owner and the visitor. For example, property owners generally have a higher duty of care toward customers and invited guests than toward trespassers. A property owner can be liable if someone gets hurt because they fail to uphold this duty by not rectifying or warning visitors of a hazardous condition.
Another key law for a California slip-and-fall lawsuit is the “pure comparative negligence” doctrine. Under this law, you can still recover compensation for your losses if you are at fault for your injuries. Many other states prohibit you from seeking compensation from others if your percentage of fault is above certain thresholds, such as 50 or 51 percent. But in California, you can still demand compensation from other parties even if you are 99 percent responsible for your own losses.
However, any compensation you’re awarded under this system will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault. For instance, if you are 30 percent responsible for the slip-and-fall accident, your total compensation will be reduced by 30 percent as well.
Who Could Be Liable in a Slip-and-Fall Accident Case?
In a slip-and-fall injury case in California, identifying the responsible parties is an essential step in pursuing fair compensation for your losses. Liability can extend beyond just the property owner. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, various entities might be responsible, such as:
- Property Owners – The owner of the property where the accident occurred could be liable if they failed to maintain safe conditions or warn visitors of known hazards.
- Tenants or Lessees – Individuals or businesses renting properties could be responsible if they create or ignore hazardous conditions that hurt people.
- Municipalities – City or county governments could be liable for accidents that occur due to poorly maintained public spaces, such as sidewalks or parks.
- Contractors and Subcontractors – In construction zones, contractors or subcontractors could be liable if they didn’t adequately secure an area or provide proper warnings.
- Maintenance Companies – Companies contracted to clean or maintain a property could be responsible for creating hazardous conditions, such as wet floors without warning signs.
What to Do if You Were Hurt in a Fall on Someone Else’s Property
If you get hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, the steps you take afterward can significantly affect your ability to seek compensation later on. You should do the following:
- Seek immediate medical attention to have a doctor diagnose, treat, and document your injuries.
- Report the incident to the property owner, manager, or other responsible parties.
- Document the scene by taking photographs or videos of the area where the accident occurred.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses present during the accident.
- Preserve any evidence related to the accident, such as the clothing and shoes you wore and any objects or substances that contributed to your fall.
- Write down your own account of the events as soon as possible while your memory is fresh.
- Avoid making any verbal or written statements that could be interpreted as admissions of fault.
- Don’t post about the incident or your personal well-being on social media.
- Consult a qualified slip-and-fall attorney in North Hollywood to review your case and discuss your legal options.
What Compensation Could Be Available in a Slip-and-Fall Accident Case?
In the aftermath of a slip-and-fall accident in California, you might face numerous financial and emotional challenges. You could be eligible for several forms of compensation, such as:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Travel costs for medical appointments
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Vocational retraining
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit for a Slip-and-Fall Accident in California?
In California, you have two years from the date of the slip-and-fall accident to initiate most personal injury lawsuits against responsible parties. If you miss this two-year window, you could lose your opportunity to seek compensation for any injuries or losses you incur due to the accident. It’s worth noting that this standard two-year time limit can vary in some circumstances.
Even though two years might seem like a long time, it’s important to act quickly for several reasons. First, a slip-and-fall claim often requires substantial time to prepare effectively. This involves gathering evidence, speaking with witnesses, and potentially negotiating with insurance companies, all of which can be time-consuming. Second, evidence can degrade over time. Surveillance footage may be deleted, witnesses may forget important details, and physical evidence like broken stairs or wet floors can be repaired or altered, making it harder to establish liability.
Consulting a lawyer as early as possible is the best way to ensure that you file your claim within the required time frame and with the most compelling evidence available. An experienced attorney can guide you through the legal system, help you gather the necessary evidence, and consult medical experts to build a compelling case on your behalf.
How Can a North Hollywood Slip-and-Fall Lawyer Help Me?
A slip-and-fall accident can leave you with more than just physical pain. It often brings a host of legal challenges that require professional attention. Sean Shamsi can help you by:
- Investigating the slip-and-fall to identify liable parties and useful evidence
- Calculating the total cost of your losses, including future expenses
- Gathering medical records to substantiate your injury claim
- Interviewing witnesses and taking formal statements
- Consulting with doctors and other experts to build a solid case
- Drafting and filing your initial complaint against the liable parties
- Handling all correspondence with insurance companies
- Negotiating with the opposing counsel for a fair settlement
- Reviewing any offers and advising you on whether to accept them
- Taking your case to court if the other side won’t agree to a reasonable settlement
- Appealing the case if the initial verdict is unfavorable
Sean understands the immense financial stress many victims face following an accident, so he does all he can to lessen the burden. The Shamsi Law Firm, APC covers all upfront costs of your legal action, with attorney’s fees paid as a percentage of your award at the conclusion of your case. That means you will never pay anything upfront or out-of-pocket.
Contact a Slip-and-Fall Lawyer in North Hollywood Today
Your path to recovery after a slip-and-fall accident begins with understanding your legal options and acting promptly. The Shamsi Law Firm, APC can guide you through each step. Reach out today to arrange a consultation with Sean Shamsi, a reputable slip-and-fall lawyer in North Hollywood, and start reclaiming your life.