North Hollywood Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Were you hurt in a pedestrian accident in North Hollywood? A collision with a motor vehicle can inflict catastrophic injuries that require extensive, costly medical treatment. You should not have to bear the financial burden of a careless or reckless driver’s conduct. You may have the right to pursue compensation and justice from the driver and other potentially liable parties. An attorney from The Shamsi Law Firm, APC can help you seek the financial relief you deserve after a North Hollywood pedestrian accident.
Attorney Sean Shamsi will take the time to listen to you to determine your best legal options for pursuing compensation. He understands that a pedestrian accident claim is not “just another case.” Instead, it’s the chance to have your voice heard. And with tens of millions of dollars recovered for accident victims, Sean’s made sure insurance companies know his voice.
If you’ve suffered injuries after getting hit by a negligent or reckless driver, you deserve to pursue financial relief and justice. Let a North Hollywood pedestrian accident lawyer from The Shamsi Law Firm, APC help. Reach out to Sean today for a free initial case review to learn more about your legal options.
What Are the California Pedestrian Laws?
California has enacted laws to keep pedestrians safe when walking on public streets. Some of the crucial laws that pedestrians and motorists in California should know include the following:
- A driver must yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the road at a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.
- Pedestrians may not suddenly leave the curb and step into the path of a vehicle so close as to pose an immediate hazard.
- Drivers may not pass and overtake a vehicle stopped to yield for a pedestrian in a crosswalk or intersection.
- Drivers must yield to approaching pedestrians before driving over a sidewalk.
- Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicular traffic when crossing a road equipped with a pedestrian tunnel or overhead crossing or when crossing a road outside a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk in an intersection.
- Pedestrians may not cross the road outside a crosswalk between adjacent intersections with traffic control signal devices or police officers directing traffic.
- Pedestrians walking upon the roadway outside a business or residential district must walk along the left shoulder or left-hand edge of the road, facing traffic traveling in the opposite direction.
What Are the Main Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Many pedestrian accidents occur because of a reckless or negligent driver. Some of the most frequent causes of pedestrian accidents in North Hollywood include:
- Distracted driving, including using a cell phone while driving
- Disregarding traffic controls and signals
- Failing to yield the right-of-way at crosswalks and intersections
- Reckless driving, including excessive speeding, street racing, or swerving around/through traffic
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy/fatigued driving
- Turning without signaling or checking for pedestrians about to enter the intersection
- Backing up out of a parking spot or driveway without looking behind
Other factors contributing to pedestrian accidents include adverse weather conditions, poor visibility/low lighting, unsafe road/intersection design, or malfunctioning traffic signal equipment.
How Many Pedestrians Are Killed in North Hollywood and California Each Year?
According to the Governor’s Highway Safety Administration, there were just over 500 pedestrian fatalities in California in one recent year. The California Office of Traffic Safety states that California has a pedestrian fatality rate approximately 25 percent higher than the national average, making California one of the most dangerous states for pedestrians.
In Los Angeles, 159 pedestrian fatalities occurred in one recent year, a 21 percent increase over the prior year, representing one of the highest increases in pedestrian fatalities among metro areas in the United States.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Pedestrian Accident?
Typically, the driver who hits a pedestrian will bear liability for the pedestrian’s injuries and other losses. However, other parties may also be liable for a pedestrian accident victim’s financial and personal losses under certain circumstances. Other parties may be responsible for a pedestrian accident in these situations:
If a driver hits a pedestrian while driving a vehicle for work, the driver’s employer may have vicarious liability for the driver’s negligence.
Suppose a motorist hits a pedestrian while driving someone else’s car. In that case, the car’s owner may bear liability for the pedestrian’s injuries if the owner negligently entrusted their vehicle to the at-fault driver.
A vehicle or auto parts manufacturer may bear responsibility for a pedestrian accident if the car suffers a mechanical failure due to a design or manufacturing defect in the car or one of its parts.
What Are Common Injuries Someone Can Sustain in a Pedestrian Accident?
Because pedestrians have no protection in a collision with a motor vehicle, they tend to suffer catastrophic, life-altering injuries. Some examples of injuries that commonly occur in pedestrian accidents include:
- Abrasions (road rash)
- Degloving injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Muscle/tendon strains and tears
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Herniated spinal discs
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injury
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic amputation or limb loss
What Compensation Can I Recover After a Pedestrian Accident?
If a negligent driver hits you, you may have the right to recover compensation for financial and personal losses you incur due to your injuries. You could be compensated for the following:
- Costs of treatment and rehab for your accident injuries, including emergency care, hospitalizations, surgeries, pain medication, and physical/occupational therapy
- Costs of home health care, support, and other assistance you need to cope with long-term or permanent disabilities resulting from your injuries
- Lost wages if you need to miss time from work while recovering from injuries or if medical restrictions require you to transfer to a lower-paying part-time or modified-duty role
- Lost future earnings if you develop a permanent disability and cannot return to your regular job or other kinds of work
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life due to disabilities or disfigurement/scarring adversely impacting your daily living
How Long Do I Have to File a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in California?
Under the statute of limitations in California, an injury victim typically has two years to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit against the driver or other liable parties. If the accident involved a state or local government vehicle, the law requires a plaintiff to provide the government with notice of their claim within six months of the pedestrian accident. While this might sound like plenty of time to file your claim, your lawyer will need time to investigate and prepare your case.
If you file your lawsuit after the statutory deadline, the court will likely dismiss your case. If so, you could lose your right to seek compensation in civil court. Contact a North Hollywood pedestrian accident attorney from The Shamsi Law Firm, APC as soon as possible after a crash to ensure you file your pedestrian accident case on time.
Benefits of Hiring a North Hollywood Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you’ve suffered severe injuries in a pedestrian accident, you deserve the time and space to focus on your medical treatment and rehabilitation. However, medical bills can pile up during that time, and you could lose income if you cannot work. A North Hollywood pedestrian accident attorney from The Shamsi Law Firm, APC can handle every detail of your case, making the recovery process less stressful. When you hire attorney Sean Shamsi, you will have peace of mind knowing that he is helping your case by:
- Investigating the crash to secure critical evidence such as police accident reports, accident scene photos/videos, surveillance/traffic camera footage, eyewitness testimony, and driver cell phone records
- Evaluating your legal options for financial recovery and identifying liable parties beyond the driver who hit you
- Explaining your rights and options and preparing you for what to expect during the claims process so you have the information you need to make the best decisions for your interests
- Developing a compelling legal case for your right to financial recovery, including working with expert witnesses as necessary for persuasive opinion testimony
- Documenting your injuries and calculating the total value of your losses, including future anticipated expenses, so that you can pursue the money you need now and long after your case ends
- Filing your insurance and legal claims and dealing with adjusters and defense lawyers for you to take the stress of your case off your shoulders
- Aggressively pursuing every avenue to obtain maximum compensation for you, whether through a negotiated settlement or by going to court and trial if necessary
After being seriously injured in an accident and having to face mounting medical bills, the last thing you need to worry about is paying a lawyer. That is why The Shamsi Law Firm, APC handles your injury case on a contingency-fee basis. This means you pay nothing upfront or out-of-pocket for Sean’s legal services. If Sean recovers the compensation you deserve, The Shamsi Law Firm, APC receives an attorney’s fee that is typically an agreed-upon percentage of your recovery.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in North Hollywood Today
If you were hurt in a pedestrian accident in North Hollywood, you need experienced, effective legal representation to pursue the compensation and accountability you deserve. Sean Shamsi will prioritize your case, giving you the personalized service you need during this difficult time. He will take the time to listen to your story and build a solid case tailored to your needs and interests.
Contact The Shamsi Law Firm, APC today for a free no-obligation consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer in North Hollywood to learn more about your legal options.