California Pedestrian Injury Lawyers

legal help for pedestrian collision victims

California Pedestrian Injury Lawyers

On average, a pedestrian is killed in a traffic accident every two hours in the United States. Every eight minutes, a pedestrian is injured. Los Angeles has reputation as being one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians in the U.S., second only to New York in the number of pedestrian injuries per year.

Pedestrian injuries are some of the most dangerous traffic accidents.

If a car traveling 23 mph strikes a pedestrian, there is a 25 percent chance they will be seriously injured. If the vehicle is traveling just 16 mph faster, that number jumps to 75 percent. Pedestrian collisions are frequently caused by the negligence of a driver and leave victims with debilitating injuries that range from broken bones to paralysis. At the Shamsi Law Firm, we have helped many victims to receive compensation for injuries sustained in a pedestrian collision.

Where They Happen

Los Angeles pedestrian accidents often occur between the downtown area and Hollywood, due the high concentration of people on foot and the large number of intersections. In July of 2015, the L.A. Times published an article dealing with specific areas that were host to many pedestrian accidents from 2002 to 2013. Here are some of the key highlights:

  • 343 people were struck by vehicles and three were killed in less than one square mile of the Westlake area, near MacArthur Park.
  • There were 400 pedestrians struck and 11 killed in Koreatown.
  • In Hollywood, Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard had 369 pedestrian collisions, with 8 deaths.
  • In the area outside the TCL Chinese Theater, at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, 39 pedestrians were struck.
  • In South L.A., at Slauson and Western avenues, vehicles struck 41 pedestrians.

More Pedestrian Accident Facts

  • In 2013, 26 percent of pedestrian fatalities occurred between 6 p.m. and 8:59 p.m..
  • 72 percent of those fatalities occurred in the dark, as opposed to daylight (25 percent).
  • The average age of a pedestrian killed in a traffic collision was 46, while the average age of injured pedestrians was 36.
  • 21 percent of children aged 14 and younger killed in traffic accidents were pedestrians.
  • 69 percent of those killed in pedestrian accidents were male.
  • One-fifth of all pedestrian fatalities involved a hit-and-run driver.
  • Nearly half of all fatal pedestrian accidents (49 percent) involved the use of alcohol, either by the driver or the pedestrian.

Pedestrian Injury LawyerBeing struck by a vehicle can result in devastating injuries that can greatly affect not only a person’s physical health, but also their earning potential, mental and emotional health and the lives of their family. Broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and paralysis can all result from serious pedestrian collisions.

If you or a loved one has been struck by a vehicle, you could be entitled to compensation for the damages you’ve incurred. It’s important to act as quickly as possible as time is often of the essence in motor vehicle accidents. The experienced pedestrian accident attorneys at the Shamsi Law Firm can help you decide on the best course of action for your case. Contact us today for a free consultation, 888-742-6745.